I normally wouldn’t be doing an update this week but just in case Huck comes any time soon, I wanted one more update. No standard picture this week but I’ll throw in a mirror selfie at the bottom.
Baby is the size of a(n): winter melon or a Pomeranian
Gender: It’s a Boy!
Weight Gain: I lost weight after my last update so I was actually sitting at 37 lbs at 37 weeks.
Belly Button In or Out: Finally sticking out a tiny bit.
Wedding Rings On or Off: Off and wearing my pink Qalo ring instead. Little bit of difference this time since with Whitlee I had to switch to a plain silver band at about 32 weeks. My normal wedding ring is a size 4.5 and the silver band was a 7 or 8 I think. I tried it on recently and it was huge! But my Qalo ring is the same size as my wedding ring just stretchy so it works well. Plus I could leave it on in a c section if it comes to that.
Sleep: Sleeping a tiny bit better. Oddly enough I’m not up to pee maybe quite as much? Still going around 3-4 times a night but not like the 7-8 I was going.
Best Moment The Last Few Weeks: I think just knowing everything is done, bags packed, house is cleaned and we’re basically ready for him. Well, as much as we can. Also finding out my body is naturally progressing on its own.
Miss Anything: caffeine and carbs
Movement: Still my favorite part! I’m so going to miss it when he’s not wiggling around in there anymore. He’s still head down and getting lower. Back is over to my right and feet over to my left. Every once in a while he sticks what I feel like his heel out on my left side and it’s almost like you could just grab his foot. It’s so crazy.
Cravings/Aversions: I’ve been craving water. The more I drink, the more I want. Aversions to weird smells.
Symptoms: The line on my belly is getting a little darker but still not quite as dark as with Whitlee. Starting to have some rear pelvic pain, like my hip area maybe? I’m not quite sure how to describe it.
Additional Notes: It still blows my mind that I made it this far and have no signs of preeclampsia. If Huck hadn’t had a heart defect, we most likely would have all been discharged together like a normal family. But I’m so thankful he has been able to stay in this long because his development is one of the most important parts of this. If he’d been too early, it could have been very bad.
I’m still going to my doctors appointments in Houston once a week for normal checkups, but we did relocate this week so I only have a 10 minute drive for this weeks appointment instead of 2+ hours. Whitlee and I are in an apartment in Houston while Nolan travels back and forth. Our house is being watched VERY carefully, in case you were thinking of robbing us. Plus there’s a special place in hell for you if you break into someone’s house that is away from home caring for a sick baby. (This happened in another town recently and it makes my stomach turn. The parents were with their sick child at our same hospital here in Houston and someone broke into their house.)
So after my last update, we had a little bit of excitement happen. The afternoon I rolled over 36 weeks (that Wednesday), I suddenly got a really bad lower backache and starting feeling nauseous and just really bad. I felt sort of like I had the flu. I was also having some digestive issues. I tried to drink some water, take a bath, rest.. nothing really helped. We had plans to eat dinner at my in-laws that evening so we went ahead, thinking I’d start feeling better soon. I wasn’t contracting or anything so I just thought maybe I’d overdone something earlier that day. I’d been cleaning and organizing, nesting I guess. While we were eating (I also had very little appetite.. was basically forcing myself to eat), I suddenly had a really painful, strong contraction. I excused myself from the table and went and laid in a recliner for a bit. The contractions kept coming so I started timing them. They were definitely more painful than the Braxton Hicks I’d been having for a while but not so intense that I couldn’t talk through them. After about an hour and a half of contractions 4-5 minutes apart, I told Nolan we needed to go home so I could call my nurses line and see what they wanted me to do. So we left and ran home and I called and they said it sounded like I was in labor and needed to come to Houston. We loaded our stuff up, dropped Whitlee back off at my in laws and headed out. I timed contractions all the way there, and they got to be around 2-4 minutes apart. Once we were in triage at about 11 pm, they hooked me up and found that I was definitely contracting every 4 minutes. They left me on the monitors for about 2 hours and checked blood/urine. They finally checked me and the nurse midwife said I had no dilation, which was kind of odd since my MFM had said I was about a 1 previously. They ended up just monitoring us for a while and had me drink a huge pitcher of water, then they gave me a shot of morphine to help with the pain and sent us home. They said I was having prodromal labor and that I had the timing nailed down but they needed to be increasing in intensity. Like barely talk through them intense. But, oddly enough the next two days I ran fever and had body aches, chills, sweats, and contractions all over the place. I got checked at my appointment on Friday and they said I was about a fingertip dilated and super super soft, but no effacement. The contractions weren’t doing anything except annoying me. We chalked up the weird symptoms to possible side effects from the morphine. On Saturday, my fever broke, my digestive issues cleared up, and suddenly my contractions stopped. It was so weird. So the verdict is that I most likely had some kind of virus, and it was possibly causing my contractions. Since then I’ve had a few, but nothing too crazy. Things are basically back to normal and we’re progressing slowly at the pace we should be. I got checked at 37 weeks and I was definitely a 1, but now stretchy to a 2 and also 50% effaced!
Now the plan is just to wait on him to come on his own, otherwise we have a tentative induction scheduled for 39 weeks. One. More. Week. 7 days. Maybe. They did mention possibly waiting until 40 weeks if my blood pressure was holding out, fluid levels are good and everything else seems stable. I’ve been walking as much as I can, bouncing on a yoga ball, and drinking red raspberry leaf tea, all hoping to increase my chances of spontaneous labor or at least further dilation prior to the induction. The tea will supposedly just help with making contractions more effective when they do happen. Right now my bishop score is about a 7, which indicates a fairly successful induction process. We’re just in a waiting game now!